Base me an army worthy of Mordor!!!

Good day everyone!
So some updates on my monster army as they are progressing rather rapidly now to their time of completion what with the tournament now only 2 weeks away. Firstly I shall show you the now repainted Infernal Golem that I posted previously with the whole source lighting fiasco, 


This time I went with something that I knew I would probably be able to do a decent job of, a bit safe I know but with a model of this size it was foolish to try something so radical and new. So I weathered the hell out of it! The armour panels were painted brass and then weathered down using layers of GW's Nihilakh Oxide, a lovely technical paint I don't get to use that often. It created a really nice effect and looked really striking. To offset this I really rusted up the metalwork on the pipes, chain beard and horns. Now previously I had used the GW rust paint to do this sort of thing but I found it a bit hit and miss seeing as it was a textured paint, this time I just went with a Nuln Oil wash to dull the metal and then drybrushing with Troll Slayer Orange to finish it off. Still need to decide what to do with his weapons though but the idea will come to me in time. After painting him like this I was discussing him with my friend Peno and between us we concluded that background wise this fella was likely an old creation of Khorne that he either got bored with or simply forgot about. After countless years festering and decaying with nothing to do he was picked up by Nurgle who found a use for him and gave him a new purpose. So welcome everyone to Pho'khar, Sentinel of the Plague Garden!

Now onto bases, I always seem to have trouble in thinking about what kinds of bases to put my armies on, I don't know why but it always baffles me. Usually I end up defaulting to either deserts or wastelands and to start with this army was no exception. A problem arose however when I tried to use my trusty Agrellan Earth on some of the MDF bases that I had bought for them. Here is a base showing the results. 

This is not what I had in mind....the cracks are far too small and there really is just nothing going on with this base. So I went back to the drawing board and started thinking of other base types I could do, I already knew I didn't want to do snow, I had done that with another army and I didn't want to do wet mud as that is how my Mechanicum army is based. After some discussion with my most learned of colleagues Mr. Lord (A link of his blog work shall be left here: http://www.excommunicatetraitoris.com/) I came up with the idea of potentially doing the ground being covered in ash, as if a volcano had erupted prior (rather fitting for the End Times I thought) and he suggested this marvellous textured paste called grey pumice by Vallejo. He leant me a jar of the stuff and I set about giving it a test run, and here is the result.


Much better! I liked this partly for its simplicity but also that it will nicely offset the quite vibrant colours that my army has come out in, whilst also tying all of them together in a unified looking force. So with this being sorted I spent the majority of this morning pasting bases, as the pictures below will demonstrate.


Overall I am reasonably happy with the progress that is happening with my army, though I do need to somewhat pick up the pace as I would very much like to get these finished for the event and it is well within my reach to do so. My new daemon prince and doombull have arrived also so all the models for the army are now in my possession so with some quick building and undercoating I should be able to get them painted by the end of next week giving me the last week to finish touching up the small details left to do on other monsters and getting it all looking shiny and cool.

Comments