Monsters Running Amok (Mostly....)

Howdy!

Yes I realize that it has been a while since my last post, I have been busy putting together my monster army ready for the event that took place this weekend. But finished I aimed for and finished I got! It has left me drained and tired but I got them to the point where I could happily put them onto the board with pride and the army (for the most part) did as it was told...but that is what I will be writing about further down this post.

So let's talk about the event in general. The event was Oath and Honour hosted by Portal Wargaming in Burton Upon Trent and was a 2600pts Warhammer Fantasy tournament (I believe the 2600pts was used instead of 2400pts due to just having a slightly random element to it rather than the standard tournament values) and there was a total of 24 entrants which is pretty large in our gaming area especially for Warhammer Fantasy, likely attested to the popularity of the End Times series. The event was 3 games that used the deployments of 3 of the standard missions but the games rules and victory conditions were the same across the whole day, this meant it added a nice level of diversity whilst still keeping it on a level playing field for everyone.

So I had 3 games starting off with a fight with wood elves, which whenever I heard wood elves get mentioned it fills me with dread as they tend to run rings around me with all their fast cavalry nonsense. Luckily this was not the case as he took predominantly infantry which was useful for me to the extreme. My army hits like a sledgehammer when it works properly, and this game it did that pretty damn well. The Chimera took the bullet early on and the Hellcannon was finally dragged down at the end by a big ol' tree but other than that it was a solid game all round.

Game 2 for me was......frustrating....I don't think I had a game where I had worse luck and my opponent had better luck. For the record I was against Bretonnians which originally I felt was a pretty good match for me, I tend to eat up knights like nothing else with trolls and monsters. Unfortunately my opponent managed to pass pretty much every ward save I threw at him, and I really did throw a bunch of wounds at his army. The main issue of the game was that my troll horde failed 4 out of 6 stupidity tests on a leadership of 9....yeah it went that bad... less said about this game the better.

Final game I got to play against Lee and his Ogres, Lee is a great guy to play against and it is always a fun experience, which is why it makes me feel bad how horribly this game went for him. I had killed 2 of his main units by the end of turn 1 (that's what first turn charges gets you in blood and glory!) and it went downhill from there for him. It was all over by turn 3 by which point I had wiped out his entire army which was pretty impressive I was surprised it did that well to be fair, it was a shame we couldn't have spent more time playing a closer game but as my previous game had demonstrated that is how the dice roll as they say.

So overall I did pretty well, better than I was aiming for to be honest. I finished 9th which was great and my army even got a few votes for best painted army which I was chuffed to bits about. I did also manage to get a spot prize for the fastest breaking of fortitude in the final game and got me a Skaven box (a shadow of what is to come perhaps?). It was a great atmosphere with everyone playing in good spirits and having a good laugh. Much fun was had (especially with Edd Barfield shouting "This is Sparta!" for the day long "crown of command" challenge by rolling a double 1 on his last leadership test of the game).

I will leave some pictures of the event that were taken by the events organiser Andy Smith (thanks for the great event!) The winner was Ricky Oliver and his Nagash...I mean undead army, all credit to him as even though he was using Nagash it was his first event so congratulations are in order for him too.

Hopefully now this is out of the way I can settle down and paint some new things to add some variety. Till then though take care everybody!













Comments