Wracks Pt.1

Hello there everyone!

So this post is sort of beneficial for both myself and for you guys as it shows you guys my painting progression with models, but also it helps me remember how to do things because my memory is appalling.

So a while ago I painted my first unit of Wracks for my Dark Eldar army and I honestly forgot what colours I used and how I went about it. Looking at them recently I didn't like them very much anyway it didn't come across how I wanted them so I repainted them accordingly. So I will be going through the first part of this paint scheme with you today.

As a side note. The combination for the yellow is not mine, I took the scheme from Mordian 7th which you can find here: http://mordian7th.blogspot.co.uk/

 Starting with the black undercoat, thinking back to this I would probably go with a grey undercoat instead as it will be better for the yellow but there you go.
 Yellow first so starting with a few base coats of Scrofulous Brown by Vallejo (I don't know what it is but I love the word scrofulous now that I have been made aware of it)
 Next was a drybrush of Averland Sunset from the GW range, quite a heavy drybrush too so there was only the brown present in the main recesses.
 A further drybrush of Flash Gitz Yellow again by GW, this was only a light coat just to lighten the yellow before the wash.
 So the last part of the yellow was to give it a wash, specifically I used Reikland Fleshshade just to bring the yellow back down a bit but to keep the strong shade.
 Skin time! So for my Wracks I wanted a slightly unnatural skin tone so I started with a Tan Yellow from Vallejo. Again looking for a flat basecoat so a few thinned down layers instead of a single one.
 You'll notice I love to do the drybrush technique a lot, and this is no exception. A drybrush layer of Deck Tan from Vallejo just to bring a pale complexion to the skin again before the wash for the definition.
 Druchii Violet wash from GW is the wash I used in this instance, it helps give an unhealthy skin tone to the Wracks as well as having a nice contrast to the yellow (using my art teacher knowledge for a change!)
Finally another drybrush of Deck Tan just to bring it back up to the pale tone I wanted. A fairly simple process of drybrush and wash layers to give me the effect I want.

So that's it for part one, the next time I will go through the rest of the model to finish the whole thing. Still not sure on bases for these guys so if you have any suggestions don't hesitate to let me know.

Currently I am painting a figure up this week for a small painting competition which I will show you guys once the competition is complete.

But until then, take care everybody!

Comments