Something Wicked This Way Comes

Hello there everybody!

The Talos from the Dark Eldar range has always interested me, pain engines are my jam! I always knew if I was going to do a proper Dark Eldar army that I would have to create some that really brought out what I imagined them being. To that end for my Corpsethief Claw formation I wanted to start with the retro models as a base as that was what they always looked like to me (not that the new ones are bad or anything, I still own a couple of those too).

Now in terms of what I wanted to do with them I honestly had no idea, well, I had an inkling of an idea. Based on a Talos that is currently being constructed by commission (no you can't see any of it yet) I wanted to have some similarities in terms of themes with regards to my big Talos unit. This led me to want them legged rather than hovering, other than that it was a blank canvas.

Unrelated to this I had found a tutorial on Pinterest of all places that worked with PVA glue and super glue to create an interesting effect of Tyranid-like skin which I thought was rather cool which I wanted to try out...and what better test subject than a pain engine?

 Now whilst they did this technique on flat surfaces, I felt that wasn't nearly disgusting enough for my army. So I started by putting some boils on from roughly rolling up green stuff. Also the legs are crushing claws from Tyranid Tyrant Guard with some filing and dremel work to make them look less "niddy".

The main part of this method, heavily putting PVA glue in all the recesses between the boils, then dropping super glue on it whilst it is still wet. I was sceptical when I read this but when I tried it on this I was genuinely surprised with how effective it was.

I added to this effect by doing the more regularly established technique of dropping super glue into water and then stretching the partly dried glue over parts as it quickly dries. makes it a little more nasty looking.

And then painted. I am pretty happy with how the flesh has come out. The whole thing isn't finished yet but mostly it is at a good place. I will likely be adding gloss varnish to make it a little more disgusting.

4 more to do! Now I know this works I am pretty happy with how it has come out it will be suitable for the whole unit. 

I have been painting the venom for my Scalpel Squadron so that will likely be the next update.

Until next time, take care everybody!


Comments